Monday 3 May 2010

TORTILLA @ ANGEL


Tortilla was the first place I had a 'proper' Burrito in London. It was awesome. The last few I've had from their Islington branch though have been awful. However, I'd just picked up a sweet bargain and felt in the mood to reassess my prejudices. I was feeling a little too lazy to go up to Chilango and before I knew it I was in the thick of it, ordering my little heart out.

I opted for the medium chicken (keeping one eye on my health, alright?). The service was surly as hell, as usual. I had to ask for each addition to my Burrito individually which got a little frustrating. I got the feeling that the server really didn't want me to pay 50p extra for Guacamole. Maybe she hates it or something? I don't, so BACK OFF.

I'll spare you the walk home except to add that the sun is out and I'm glad to see it back. I got that foil off the top and...we've already failed. The Burrito was split all down the middle and I got a Guac hit to the leg. It didn't get through to my real leg, just a surface wound, but still pretty unforgiveable. I was watching a few get wrapped before mine and the server kept missing the tuck off each end. Poor form.

I persevered and took a bite. Having exhausted all manner of cheap cuts of meat while a student I'm pretty sure the "Chicken breast, marinated for hours in a mellow adobo," as the website advertises, is actually thigh or something. It was really fatty and had no signs of it ever touching a grill. Not Great.

The main problem though is the hot sauce. I may just have the palate of a child and be missing the sensuous subtleties of the Salsa, but all i can detect is the harsh bitterness of dark chocolate. It also has a really thick consistency, which turns the Burrito into a gloopy ball of yuck. It tastes like the chilis may have been a bit burnt. The over-abundance of chili seeds doesn't really add any heat but just means you get to crunch through flavourless seeds long after you've finished the burrito. I didn't finish mine actually, cause it was gross as hell.


Sorry Tortilla, your Islington branch is truly balls.

good:

- I just missed an enormous queue
- The guac was OK

bad:

- The hot Salsa is disgusting
- The Chicken was not breast meat/really fatty
- Some arsey service

13 Islington High Street, N1 9LQ

3/10

5 comments:

  1. Wow. After that damning review I'm amazed it scored as much as 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to save the 1/10 up for those chains that charge you a tenner, innit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think using "dark chocolate" as a slur kinda is derisive to makers of fine chicken mole burritos... makes me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicken mole is one thing, but Salsa should not be gloopy and bitter. NO WAY. It's like eating a melted sandal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just went there last week and I thought it was extremely good, on par with Chilango. Went there for lunch and liked it so much I went back for dinner the same day (not in angel that often)!

    Maybe they're inconsistent? Because I didn't notice your criticisms (and I do eat a lot of burritos.) For the record I ordered a steak burrito with guac, black beans, hot sauce and lemon/cilantro rice.

    Great blog though, please keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete