Friday 30 April 2010

Poncho No. 8

Just got back from Ipswich as my band had a gig there. I feel sick from ale and sleeping on a sofa. I nearly drank a massive spider. FAIL. Staz (drummer) said well done to the headline band only for them to reply that they knew she didn't watch the show. FAIL. I am at home now, alive. WIN. Also, I had a Burrito yesterday from new-ish Burrito shack 'Poncho No. 8.' WIN.


We had to get the train to Ipswich so I realised this was the perfect time to check out the Burritos from the east part of London. I dragged my bass/pedals/drum crap round Spitalfields for a while, sweating like a man who hasn't been told how to dress when the sun arrives, before finding this Poncho place. It's a bright, healthy looking place, like a smoothie bar/health tonic establishment, which made me feel 100% guilt free about my second Burrito in as many days.




The staff were friendly types, which went a long way to smash my hangover paranoia to bits. I went for steak, Staz for chicken. The first bite was loaded with hot salsa. Incredible stuff, rich and with an instant fire kick. Pretty much the best hot salsa I've ever had in a Burrito. No prolonged, tear inducing, seizure burn either. The steak was cooked medium rare and cut into thin strips which means you get a good mix. You lose a bit of the charred taste but I still prefer this to the big chunks you get at Chilango. The meat distributes better. Burrito science right there.




Only problem = The tomatoes in the mild salsa (red onion/tomato/coriander) were way too big for my liking and there was a little too much rice. The rice thing wasn't much of a problem with my Burrito as I had the hot salsa to flavour it, but Staz's mild one was really bland. The big tomatoes meant that there wasn't enough salsa to go around. As a result the other stuff got lost. I couldn't taste any cheese/sour cream, just rice and chicken. I reckon finer salsa and coriander with the rice would sort it out right proper.

However, both the chicken and the steak were delicious, especially the chargrilled chicken, and the Salsa was off the hook. Poncho no. 8 is close to Burrito perfection, but not quite the King of the jungle at the moment, hence the slightly sad face score. Could easily be a solid 9 with a few tweaks. I'll definitely go back. Also need some of that insane salsa asap. Hell yes.

Address: 5 Steward Street, London E1 6AJ



good:

-HOT SALSA
-medium rare steak/great chargrilled chicken
-friendly, fun shop

bad:

-too much rice/rice a little bland
-cheese/sour cream/guac lost in the mix
-tomatoes in mild salsa are too big


6.75/10

(10/10 Salsa)

No comments:

Post a Comment