Wednesday 28 April 2010

FREEBIRD @ EXMOUTH MARKET

I'm going to write about Burritos/work out the best Burritos in London ever ever ever. I like to eat them more than other foods, including pizza and foie gras. I am starting this adventure today with FREEBIRD @ Exmouth market!



Having just polished off a miniscule amount of work I realised I had room in my stomach for a celebration Burrito. Daddy Donkey rite? HELL NAW, NOT TODAY. My girlfriend reminded me how many Burritos I've eaten in the last two weeks, so I needed to make myself feel less guilty. Change of scenery: Freebird @ Exmouth Market, the other nearby Burrito stall.

I went here a few times last year and for some reason had them pegged as not great, so was eager to be proved wrong. I put on my new coat and blew my nose hard. I was singing 'Freefalling' by Tom Petty (in my head), probably because the title has the word free in it, and the burrito stall is called Freebird. A better choice might have been that Lynyrd Skynrd song right? No, It sucks.



The place does chicken, carnitas and steak, along with a choice of rice, refried beans or black beans and salsa/cheese/sour cream/guac. I went for carnitas, which was properly shredded, not in gross chunks and it all came to £5.50 inc. Guac. Cheap Win. I was a little worried by the wrapping. It felt like a panini/melted shoe in the foil. Slight concern as I hopped home.

NOT TO WORRY THOUGH. Total WIN. The carnitas was amazing, herby and a little sweet, with the perfect amount of of rice/beans. None of that overbearing rice and bean double carb attack that I've had at Tortilla/DD before. Salsa was hot and everything mixed well. Guac not quite as delicious as DD or Chilango, but still good and chunky.

Freebird has shot up out of the park in my brain stored burrito rankings. I didn't have to wait in line and the Burrito was awesome. Will definitely have a torturous mental battle now when trying to decide where to go for Lunch. It is a hard knock life.

good:

-great herby carnitas
-good hot, rich salsa
-decent chunky guac
-good balance of rice/meat

bad:

-slight sweetness from mild salsa
-rolled a little flat
-more coriander plz


8.5/10

Address: Freebird Burritos, Exmouth Market, Clerkenwell, London


P.S. TOTALLY FORGOT TO DO A PHOTO THIS TIME. Will get into the habit of holding off eating for a second and taking a picture of the burrito. I know people like to see photos and stuff. I'm sorry. I was really hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment